Today I'm going to be highlighting my favorite restaurants to go to in Jacksonville, FL. They're going to be broken up based on: Breakfast, Brunch, Seafood, and Anytime. I'm so excited to share these with you because I truly do enjoy going to these places & whenever I get to go home from medical school, I try to visit most of them!
- Metro Diner: Chicken & Waffles for breakfast. Just do it. No, but seriously. If not, they have a 12' waffle that you can put whatever topping you want: fruit, chocolate chip, anything. There's a ton of other things on their menu but as you can tell, Chicken & Waffles are my fave from here. They make a maple syrup + hot sauce sauce. Like I said, Chicken & Waffles for breakfast. (BTW: they've expanded so much so they are now also located in GA, NC, VA as well. Check website for exact locations! ALSO did you know the first one ever was in San Marco - Jacksonville, FL and it was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives?)
- Beach Diner: This is such a CUTE brunch area, that is actually located on Atlantic Beach, FL (at least the one that I've been to - they have multiple locations!). Yes yes, technically not Jacksonville, but really they're all accessible within the area. It has your typical breakfast foods & perhaps you can go for a walk by the beach after.
- Maple Street Biscuit Company: I love this place because Chicken & Waffles... oops I mean BISCUITS! Haha. Okay I'm done. But this place does chicken & biscuits like no other. Whether you want them just plain, or with goat cheese, gravy, bacon - their menu has so many options. Make sure to check out what the question of the day is, because that's how they call out your order ;)
- Zeta Brewing: Bottomless Mimosas. Need I say more? Also their shrimp & grits are BOMB DIGGITY. This brunch place has a fun vibe and is right off Jacksonville Beach. So Brunch then beach!
- Taco Lu: Taco Lu actually has a great brunch menu! I love the Huevos Rancheros. Beside brunch, lunch and dinner time is also yummy there!
- Hoptinger: I've been here for a very late brunch - which should really be considered lunch. And then an early dinner. I'm pretty sure the menu stays the same and they've got a lot of fun options! My favorite is the Rise and Shiner.
- Safe Harbor Seafood Market & Restaurant: I'll go ahead and let you in on a secret - and this was inspired by my fiance and his parents: buy some of the seafood there, and you can have them cook it instead of ordering what's on the menu (save, the sides and drinks). Whenever my family and I go, we go for the calamari, steamed-shrimp with Old Bay seasoning, fried flounder, and I can't remember what else. Then we order some sides. I'm pretty sure you can feed a village when you do this. BUT HEY - don't let me stop you from ordering from the menu because I can assure you they're amazing as well.
- Julington Creek Fish Camp: This is another place that has a REALLY good Shrimp & Grits! They also have multiple locations throughout Jacksonville and surrounding areas so be sure to check them out.
- Angie's Subs: If you're going to be around Jacksonville, you HAVE to come here. This is a local favorite. I always get the Peruvian + a big cup (because that's your only option) of sweet tea. It's a favorite place to go after the beach.
- Hawker's Asian Street Fare: If you're. feeling some Asian street food, Hawker's will be your bae. I absolutely love this place. Wait time can get pretty long especially on weekends. Gosh, even weekdays especially nights. But I would say it's worth it. They've got a VARIETY of dishes and it's tapas-style. PSST! They're building one by Neptune Beach... AND IT LOOKS AWESOME.
- Poe's Tavern: If you want a good burger, go here. I can't even finish mine haha! What I usually get is the "Tell-Tale Heart". If you couldn't already tell by the name, it's a restaurant with an EdgarAllan Poe theme! There's another location in SC (check website)
- Flying Iguana: Tacos FTW. These are not your regular tacos, they've got their own spin! Like having watermelons and crispy pork belly, or buttermilk fried chicken & gravy. Also, on weekend's they've got a local musician playin' some tunes too!
- Biscotti's: The GOAT. CHEESE. SALAD. SO yummy. Also did I mention they have THE BEST DESSERTS?! Stay tuned for the last post for the JaxFaves Series which will be all about desserts, where I'll elaborate more about Biscotti's and BB's (which is the next restaurant), and other dessert places.
- BB's: BB's and Biscotti's are actually sister restaurants! So their desserts are pretty similar (which again i'll talk more about next time). My favorite from here is the Grilled Salmon Salad.
- Bowl of Pho: I don't get to eat a lot of asian food while I'm in medical school, so when I come home I go to Hawker's & Bowl of Pho. I always get their Pho (#1) and their fried vietnamese rolls.
- Mr. Taco: Okay this is the third taco place I've included, BUT these are the REAL DEAL. The most authentic tacos are from Mr. Taco which I (and the fiance) mostly go to their taco trucks which are posted around the town. They also have a restaurant, but I enjoy going to the truck more!
I hope ya'll can try these places if you ever are in the area! Also, if you're from Jax, what are some of your favorite places?
PS. So sorry for the lack of pictures in this post! I did link the restaurant's websites :)